Toothless Craft – How to Train Your Dragon
Toothless, the Night Fury from Dreamwork’s How to Train Your Dragon movie is Hiccup’s dragon (that’s the lead character’s name, Hiccup), and is my son’s favorite! Since my little boy’s birthday is coming up soon, he requested a Toothless birthday party.
To save on costs, and give us a chance to have fun together preparing for the party, I dreamed up this cute craft for kids. We put it together in about 20 minutes, and he had a blast. He was so excited to create his very own Toothless!!
- Wooden spoon
- Wooden craft spoon
- Green paint
- Black paint
- Paint brushes
- Glue (I used hot glue, but please do not let children use hot glue!)
- Black felt
- Red felt
- Black pipe cleaner
- Magic marker
- Patterns (you can make your own or download one from Bug, Boo and Bean
- BODY: Start by painting the two spoons black and set aside to dry. You can use craft paint, or spray paint – whatever you have on hand!
- LEGS: Cut pipe cleaner in half, and then fold both in half
- PATTERN: Cut out pattern pieces and lay on felt
~ BLACK: mouth, ears, wings, and tail
~ RED: tongue and one wing
- BODY: Once the paint is dry on spoons, glue the craft spoon to the back of the wooden spoon to form a tail
- LEGS & WINGS: Next, glue the legs on as pictured, then glue on the wings over the top of the front legs
- TAIL: Glue the black and red tail pieces onto the end of the spoons
- FACE: Glue the mouth, tongue and ears on wide end of wooden spoon. Then paint the eyes on with green and black paint (waiting between applications to let paint dry)
I was actually able to use things I had around the house, so this cost virtually nothing out of pocket and was super fun to do! If you don’t have craft materials at home, check the dollar store (e.g., Dollar Tree or 99 cent only store), or your local thrift store.
NOTE: Please use extreme caution when crafting with kids! Regular glue can be used in place of hot glue, it’ll just take longer to dry. Obviously, hot glue guns can cause burns and should never be used by children.
Be sure to check out everything you can score for FREE at Dollar Tree!