DIY Farmhouse Bedroom Makeover – Chalk Painted Entertainment Center
One of the last things I chalk painted in my bedroom Farmhouse makeover was my entertainment center. This was due in part to the fact that it was so nice and I was afraid to ruin it! Even after the amazing results I had with my other restoration projects, I was still hesitant. It wasn’t until my niece went into labor — and because of Covid we couldn’t be there — that I finally broke into this part of the project. I was so nervous, I needed a distraction!
Materials I used to chalk paint my DIY Farmhouse Entertainment Center
- A really good paint brush
- Clean with TSP wood cleaner
- Home Made Chalk Paint
- Rustoleum Hammered Spray Paint
- RUST-OLEUM Ultimate Wood Stain in Kona color
- PolyShades by Minwax polyurethane 1-step top coat in Espresso
- Peel-and-stick shiplap wallpaper
I blame it on the nerves, but I don’t have any really good pictures of this before! You can see it in the background here, off to the right.
As with every furniture restoration project, I started by cleaning it with Trisodium Phosphate — or TSP for short — which does an unmatched job of cleaning and prepping old furniture for a fresh new finish. In some areas, TSP is not legally sold and there’s an equally good (in my opinion) alternative. Check your local hardware store, or you can buy online. Be sure to read the directions and use proper precautions when using.
When painting this piece, there were a lot of nooks and crannies. I didn’t paint the inside of the drawers of the dressers, jewelry box and night stands (obviously), but for this painting the inside made sense. The back is a flimsy piece of tagboard. I didn’t paint the back, but I did use the peel-and-stick shiplap wallpaper on the back, and it looks great. I wasn’t sure if it would stick well, but it sure did!
As you can see on the top, right – toward the back, a wax warmer had gotten too hot and took the finish off of the top of this piece. So, it wasn’t perfect to start with. But, it was pretty nice!
Again, I removed the hardware and painted with Rustoleum Hammered Spray Paint to match the other pieces.
I removed the back chipboard and used peel-and-stick shiplap wallpaper which stuck much better than I thought it would (and is still holding strong!)
As you can see, the top turned out great! You can’t even see the part that was discolored before.
Last thing was to reassemble everything and enjoy it!